- Payment Options
- Building & Zoning
- Health Care
- Relocating to Truman
- Contact Us
Sanitation & Recycling
How to Recycle Using Your NEW Brown and Yellow Curbside Recycling Carts
The Single Sort Recycling Program is new to this area, so here are some instructions on how you will receive your NEW recycling cart and how to use the BROWN and YELLOW Cart correctly.
How the Carts Will Be Distributed
- Each household in Truman has been issued one 65 gallon BROWN and YELLOW recycling cart on wheels.
- If your household would like more than one cart, there is a cost of $70 for the second one.
- These carts must stay with the house if you move and are the property of the Martin and Faribault County Recycling Program.
- The yellow barrels from the former recycling program will be yours to keep, if you so choose. If you do not want your barrel, you can bring it to Prairieland Solid Waste Management, 801 East 5th Street North, Truman, MN during business hours (8 – 4, M-F).
Proper Curbside Placement of Cart on Recycling Day
- Truman is now using the BROWN and YELLOW recycling carts, the yellow barrels from the former recycling program will no longer be an acceptable recycling collection device. They will no longer be emptied.
- Place your cart out at the curb no later than 7 a.m. on your regular pick-up day.
- Make sure that the front of the cart faces the street.
- Place your cart 5 feet away from all obstructions, including cars, poles, and at least one foot away from additional carts.
- Please don’t load your cart with more than 100 lbs.
- If your cart is damaged or broken, please call 507-776-3232.
- Material left outside your cart will not be picked up.
What Can Be Recycled in your BROWN and YELLOW Cart:
- All items placed in the BROWN and YELLOW cart must be CLEAN with no dirt or food residue. Food containers must be washed out. Labels on cans are OK.
- Place shredded paper in a clear bag and place into the cart.
- NO plastic bags! The exception is the shredded paper in a clear bag. This also means no plastic bag liner in the recycling cart.
- All recyclable items are placed in the BROWN and YELLOW recycling cart and co-mingled or mixed together.
- DO NOT place garbage in these recycling containers ONLY Recycling!!
- Newspaper, Magazines, Miscellaneous Paper Products
- All white and colored writing paper, computer paper, magazines, and newspapers including inserts
- Junk mail
- Corrugated cardboard (the double-walled cardboard with the wiggly center) (Flatten boxes before putting in cart)
- Phone books
- Magazines including Reader’s Digest
- Boxboard from chip, cereal and cracker boxes
- Newspapers and shiny inserts
- Please do not bundle newspapers in anything other than brown paper grocery bags.
- Tin or Aluminum Cans
- Food and pet food cans
- Soda and beer cans
- Clean aluminum foil and aluminum foil pans
- Clear, green, brown or blue food or beverage container glass
- Wine, beer and other alcohol bottles
- Soda bottles
- Salad Dressing bottles
- All plastic bottles and jugs with a screw top lid or that have a neck smaller than the base
- Two liter bottles
- Plastic milk jugs
- Bleach bottles
- Yogurt Containers
DO NOT put these items in your BROWN and YELLOW recycling cart!
- NO Garbage
- NO Hazardous waste
- NO Scrap metal such as metal pipe, hangers, wires, or automotive parts
- NO Hot or cold ashes
- NO Concrete, rocks, gravel, or wood
- NO Pizza boxes, egg cartons or ice cream cartons
- NO Snack food bags (like chips or popcorn bags)
- NO Fast food containers, cups, or wrappers
- NO Styrofoam, foam cups, foam containers or Styrofoam peanuts
- NO Bubble wrap
- NO Plastic toys or furniture
- NO Plastic film or grocery bags
- NO Plastic wrap or dry cleaning bags
- NO Softener Salt bags
- NO Milk bags
- NO String, twine, cotton balls
- NO Paper towels, napkins, tissues
- NO Baby diapers
- NO Garden product containers such as pesticide containers
- NO Cups, coffee filters, tea bags
- NO Waxed paper or waxed anything like milk cartons, drinking boxes, frozen food boxes
- NO Candy or gum wrappers
- NO Bathroom waste paper
- NO Photos, slides, transparencies
- NO Aerosol cans, paint cans
- NO Motor oil, gasoline containers
- NO Light bulbs, pens
- NO Drinking glasses
- NO Window glass, mirrors
- NO Pottery, ceramics
- NO Disposable razors, needles
- NO Toys, dishes, glasses, medicine containers
- NO Plastic cups, silverware, trays
- NO Dead animals
If you have any questions about recycling or any solid waste program contact:
Billeye Rabbe, Prairieland Director / Martin & Faribault County Solid Waste Coordinator, 507-776-3232
If you have a question about routes and collection of recycling contact:
Hometown Sanitation, 507-235-5665.
Frequently Asked Questions
When are the garbage collection days for my street?
Please refer to the monthly schedule. Remember, observed holidays will alter the normal routine.